La Crosse Technology has been around since 1983. This original small business blossomed into a strong technology company that’s always coming out with high-quality products and sending them all over the world.
We’ve covered La Crosse Technology weather stations before and this time we’re going to go over La Crosse Technology S84107 Weather Station.
We’re also going to share a few tips to keep in mind when you’re installing and setting up your next weather station for the best temperature and weather readings.
Top 10 Tips for Your Next Weather Station
If you’re looking to install your new weather station sensor or ready to set it up, you’re going to want to check out our tips.
When you set up your new weather station you need to make sure everything is set up for the sensor’s optimal performance.
The process of installing your sensor is referred to as “siting”.
Now for our installation and set up tips:
1. Measure the distance from where your weather station display is going to be and where you want your sensor. Keep in mind the transmission distance your new weather station has.
2. The temperature sensor you install should be at least 50 feet from any concrete or asphalt roads. They produce heat, making the temperature sensor read higher than the actual temperature outside.
3. Every sensor you install should always be at least 5 feet from the ground. It also should be in an area with good ventilation.
4. You should never hang your sensor under a tree or hanging from a tree. It won’t present you with as accurate of data, particularly in measuring rainfall and windspeed.
5. It always helps to buy an appropriate solar shield for your sensor. A solar shield prevents it from being in direct sunlight and reporting that it’s warmer outside than it actually is. Some of these solar shields include a fan called an aspirator that ventilates inside of it.
6. If you’re installing a rain gauge sensor, make sure it’s high enough above any water or snow. It should also be at least 5 feet from any obstacle.
7. If you’re worried about interruptions to the power of your weather station, have a backup energy source like batteries or even solar energy ready. It helps to be prepared for anything.
8. If you’re installing a sensor to record wind speed and wind direction, your sensor should be installed 30 feet above the ground. If possible, install it even higher. The higher, the better. That way there’s no obstacles stopping it from reading the wind direction and speed.
9. You should be checking the accuracy of your weather station and sensors often. If your weather station needs it, consider re-calibrating it. Not only does this help ensure the accuracy of your weather station’s readings but it also makes it last longer.
10. When running your electrical cord to your display, run in an electrical conduit. It will protect it from damage from weather or animals.
Who Is the La Crosse Technology Weather Station For?
The La Crosse Technology S84107 Weather Station is a high-quality weather station with a strong display and fantastic graphics. We can’t get enough of this weather station and its’ awesome features.
A weather station like La Crosse’s S84107 is perfect for the advanced weather tracker who expects accurate results and detailed information to record.
Just like the slogan states, this weather station is “your home’s personal meteorologist”. It’s full of strong features.
The display takes 3 AA batteries and the sensor requires 2 AA batteries. Batteries aren’t included.
It includes a 1-year warranty.
For more pricing information, click on this link.
Dynamic LCD Display
The LCD display tablet for the La Crosse Technology S84107 Weather Station stands out from the competition.
They use dynamic colors so it’s easy to read and digest all the information it presents to you. It has 3 different backlight options when using AC power.
It has impressive graphics to show whether it’s a sunny day or a rainy day. It even changes for each season.
This display even shows the phases of the moon as they happen.
There’s also a historical graphic that measures barometric pressure over time.
It has atomic self-setting time. This means it recognizes the day and time. It will automatically change when Daylight Saving Time comes around.
This display tablet shows you the temperature, humidity, heat index, dew point, and sensor reception just to name a few features. It displays temperature in both Fahrenheit and Celsius.
The display measures at 4.75 inches and 4.25 inches.
You can set alerts to notify you of the temperature and humidity changes in the air. It’ll also alert you when your battery starts to get low.
You can also set it in 3 different languages which include: English, Spanish, and French.
This dynamic display can be mounted but you’ll have to purchase a mount kit separately. It can also stand up on a table because it folds out in the back. You can even adjust the angle while the legs holding it up are out.
This weather station will monitor your indoor temperature through a sensor in the display and you can monitor the outdoor temperature with the sensor included.
This sensor has an integrated hole on top so you can hang your sensor anywhere you want to outside. You can also mount it to a wall in your house.
For the indoor temperature, it can read temperatures from 32 degrees to 99 degrees. For the outdoor temperature, it can read temperatures from -40 degrees to 140 degrees.
The sensor can transmit data to the display as long its’ within 330 feet.
The Bottom Line
We would highly recommend this weather station by La Crosse. It’s feature-heavy and has everything you could want in a home weather station.